Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Bedtime Stories

Almost every night the 3 youngest ones come up to my bed, snuggle in, and wait for me to read aloud to them. Even if we've done schoolwork that day and I've read aloud til I've lost my voice, they still want their story. It is a wonderful opportunity; one of my favorite moments during the day. They will even stop what they are doing; gaming, TV, computer to get their story if I go to bed early. Mr. Bookworm thinks he is too old to be read to now, and says he can read it so much faster by himself, but I catch him, when I do happen to read downstairs, listening in. 

Last night we finished Mrs. Piggle Wiggle, by Betty MacDonald. The copyright date is 1947, and you can certainly tell in the stories it was written awhile ago. Sometimes, as we read through the book I felt like I was transported back to a simpler time, but then found that children have always been the same. Arguing with their siblings, not wanting to pick up their toys, being a Slow-Eater-Tiny-Bite-Taker (which by the way is my favorite line in the entire book!) And my children absolutely LOVED it! When we finished they asked for me to read it again, "Just one of the chapters, Mom. Read the Never-Want-To-Go-To-Bedder's Cure chapter again!" Magnificent!!! 

I love it when they are excited about something that does not directly involve technology!! And that we can do together...

So, we are now starting Mr. Popper's Penguins. We have only read 3 chapters but there is such amazing things that I can add into our day today, even though we are not really starting back to school until next week. I think they will be fun, and the kids really need something to do! For instance, Mr. Popper is obsessed with the North and South Poles, explorers who went there, and with penguins. So I thought today I could make a craft with the penguin idea and then do some of my own research and try to come up with some games or activities on the Poles and their explorers. It is fairly new idea as we just got done reading at 12:30 last night, but I will keep you posted on what I decide.

Then, when we have finished the story, I said we could rent the movie to watch. It should be interesting, as the book was copy written in 1938 and the movie is very obviously modern, judging from the trailers. I am interested to see what the kids think of the changes, and which they prefer.

Well, until next time, Happy Reading!!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment